What is it? What does it mean? Digital citizenship is appropriate, responsible technology use. It's a big buzzword right now, so here are some resources to help you understand it all, and be well on your way to being a good digital citizen!
Check out the Family Tip Sheet from Common Sense Media, Common Sense on Online Safety
Family Contract for Digital Citizenship Kids’ Pledge
1. I will remember that not all people have access to or utilize technology in the same way. I will not treat others differently if they do not have the same options.
2. I will tell my parents or other responsible adult right away if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable. I understand that to have technology rights that I have to be responsible in my actions as well.
3. I will tell my parents if I experience any pain or discomfort when using technology. I will remember that I need to balance technology use with other activities.
4. I will not respond to any messages that are mean or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It is not my fault if I get a message that is not appropriate. If I do I will tell my parents or responsible adult right away so that they can contact the proper groups.
5. I will talk with my parents so that we can set up rules for making purchases online. We will decide upon if and when online purchases can be made and secure sites for me to use.
6. I will treat others the way that I wish to be treated when using technology. I will keep in mind that my technology use affects others.
7. I will check with my parents before downloading or installing software or doing anything that could possibly hurt our computer or jeopardize my family’s privacy. I will also keep programs such as anti-virus, spyware and adware up-to-date to protect our information.
8. I will be a good online citizen and not do anything that hurts other people or is against the law.
9. I will help my parents understand how to have fun and learn things online and teach them things about the Internet, computers and other technology.
I agree to the above __________________________ Child sign here
I will help my child follow this agreement and will allow reasonable use of digital technology as long as these rules and other family rules are followed. __________________________ Parent(s) sign here Contract
adapted from the brochure Child Safety on the Information Highway by Lawrence J. Magid.
1 Family Contract for Digital Citizenship Parents’ Pledge
1. I will get to know the services and Web sites my child uses. If I don’t know how to use them, I will take the time to learn how.
2. I will teach my children to understand that other people do not have the same access to technology. I will demonstrate to my child that all technology users should be treated the same.
3. I will work with my child to understand the issues around online purchases. I will show my child which sites are safe and secure for buying goods online. I will also help to explain how to search and find the best deals online.
4. I promise to teach my child when and how to use digital communication methods. I understand that technology may not always be the best way to interact with others.
5. I will help everyone in our family to understand that our technology usage affects others. I will help my child to understand they need to act the way they want to be treated.
6. I will try to get to know my child’s “online friends” just as I try get to know his or her other friends. I will explain that to have rights online there are certain responsibilities as well.
7. I will teach my children that there are some material that is available online that is protected and cannot be taken without permission. Children need to understand that this material is owned by others and they have rights to be protected.
8. I will explain to my children when using technology they need to be at proper heights for their size to keep from causing physical harm. I will also make sure that my children have limits on the time they can use technology as not to become addicted to the technology.
9. I will spend time to teach my child to protect their technology and data by having adequate virus, spyware and adware software. I will also show that that having protection is important for all technology.
I agree to the above ___________________ Parent(s)
I understand that my parent(s) has agreed to these rules and agree to help my parent(s) explore and use technology with me.
Child sign here _______________________
Adapted from © 2000–2004 SafeKids.Com
Check out Common Sense Media for more information about how to keep safe online